Wednesday, March 17, 2010

with children

It's like how he put it in class today - a one month break, followed by another episode, a continuation of the previous episode. A long hiatus for me, and I suddenly feel the urge to type again.

Somebody told me when I was in Secondary 2 that I looked like a puppy in my EZ-link card. Just a week ago Budi told me I look like a dog in my NUS card. I confirmed this with Chi Ling.

Just that I don't bark.

Have I grown more cynical of the blogging world? I have found increasingly less reason to blog, increasingly less reason why I should share my thoughts and life with my friends. After all, we all have to keep some secrets one way or another. Yet every time my fingers land on the keyboard, my emotions spill out through my digits,
converted into binary digits,
appear as pixelated digits
on the digital screen.

Do children love dogs? They might be afraid at first, but if the dog doesn't bark or bite, it might be love at first sight. I have seen it with my own eyes - a boy forever drawn into a lifetime of hatred with dogs when he totters towards the beagle, him leading his mother, and his outstretched arm moving towards the...

a deep-throated raw WOOF! And he stabs the air with a piercing scream, withdrawing and hugging his mum and suffocating himself in the fabric of her shirt, interrupted only by gasping breaths, more ammunition for the long-drawn wails. The beagle will cry too.

Just that I don't bark.

I give them my winsome smile (highly debatable, it borders on the insane), they wave, then I wave back enthusiastically. If we aren't separated by a closing lift door, they would climb over and scream, "Jon-jon GOR GOR!" and settle on my lap. I recall Megan. She sets up her shop in Lakeside, and I am her only customer. I take her very seriously, because she takes it very seriously also. She tells me the chocolate strawberry cake (though it is seriously a pumpkin cracker) costs 1400 points and that I would have to buy it. I would have brought supply-and-demand into the picture if she were not only 5. I buy it, and she tells me I have only 600 points left.

Then she takes back the strawberry chocolate milk cake.

I don't bark. She tells me the chocolate strawberry milk cake costs 1400 points and that I have to buy it.

"But Megan, Gor-gor only has 200 points. How?"

"Never mind, you just take it. I give it to you for free!"

":) thank you"

Will she remember me? Perhaps not. When she grows older, she would never remember this very shop she set up for free, without license, without payment, without capital, with just beautiful imagination and a very good customer. I have made her day happy, and she has made me even more so. It's not every day you get off with a free chocolate strawberry milk cake biscuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment